Last night Elegant living hosted a BBQ for all the residents and their families. Billy, my boys and I went to party! I don't think Grams knew what was going on but she seemed to enjoy herself. Tyler leaned over to her and said "Grandma am I your favorite?" She replied, "No, I don't think so" The look on Tyler's face was priceless! Chance kept trying to get Grandmas attention to ask if she remembered him and she was doing everything but paying any attention to him. I could see that it was hurting his feelings and I wish I could help him understand that she wasn't doing it on purpose. I know she loves her little Chancee so much!
Billy and the boys left early to take Ty to football practice and I stayed with Grams, as I sat there feeding her and giving her drinks I couldn't believe how much life is just a full circle. She is like an infant, needing fed, not putting sentences together, and yet still having the most sweet spirit that radiates from her. I was visiting with a kind lady at our table and she was sharing some stories of her mother who also had dementia. She commented how sweet of a Grandmother I had. I thought she was very kind but was thinking to my self if only she could get a glimpse of her before she was robbed by this horrible disease. She would see someone who is strong, kind, has so much love for her children, Grandchildren and Great grandchildren, a teacher, counsellor, a baker, seamstress, gardener, visiting teaching advocate, the best story teller ever, and a best friend! These are just a few things I wish she had know about my sweet Grandmother!
I took Grams back inside and got in front of her with my hands on her soft cheeks and looked in her eyes, I said to her with my eyes filled with tears "Grandma I miss you so much". She just looked at me as if she wanted to say something but couldn't put the words together. I told her I had to go home and she wrapped her arms around me and said in the most heart breaking tone "oh please don't go, what will I ever do after your gone" That pushed the tears right over the edge and I just hugged her thinking the same thing about her! I love the fact that I still have her here to hug and her great listening ears but oh how I miss my Grams!!!!


2 comments:
Jody ~ I'm trying hard to see the computer through my tears to even make a comment. As I visited her and took her on a walk this evening, my eyes also filled with tears just thinking how much I wished my Mom was still here. I kept wishing that the wind would dry my tears! No such luck. It seems to get harder instead of easier. I love you Jody and I love how sweet you and your family are to her.
Aunt Kim
I too am just overwhelmed by emotion with this beautiful post Jode! Oh I, a long with thousands of others, LOVE Grandma Great!! Everything u said IS what she has been known for! I am so extremely grateful to have gotten to know and love her for who she truly is! I am thankful for all the memories I have of her as well!!
I love u so much Jody! For the compassion you ALWAYS have in your heart!! You are teaching your boys true Christ like love and charity! U, my friend, are truly inspirational!! I love most!!!
Post a Comment