Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sally Whatchamacallit!

Yesterday I picked up Grandma and we went to Arctic Circle for a milkshake. As we were pulling out of the parking lot I held her hand and asked if she knew who I was??? She responded very positively "sure, you're Sally whatchamacallit!" I just smiled, inside feeling sad! We drove all around as if it were the first time she was exploring Pocatello. We even went and strolled down Faith lane to check out her old house. She didn't recognize it but said "oh what a nice house I'm sure a nice man lives there!" Then we ventured over to Nelson lane. I figured we both might as well stroll down memory lane! As we were driving a large bird almost hit the wind shield she gasp and I said "did that bird almost hit us?" She said "Oh I thought it was Randy" During the rest of the ride her thoughts went from everything between flowers, sewing and even her sweet little babies! We were just pulling back to her new living quarters and I put my hand on hers and said "Grandma, Grandma, Grandma, I love you so much!" She surprised me my reaching back over to my arm with a big smile and said "Jody, Jody, Jody, I love you so much!" My heart melted and I expressed to her how happy it made me that she remembered me! She said " I could  never forget you!" 
After getting her settled back in I told her I needed to leave. She asked very kindly if I would take her home with me, I told her I would love too but I couldn't! She responded "but there is a party and I want cake" I reassured her that there was no party and if there was I would for sure pick her up and take her to the party! 
It truly hurts my heart to leave her there! I wish I could just bring her home with me. I left yesterday with tears streaming down my face. The nurse asked me if I was okay and I told her I was but that this was very hard for me! She hugged me and told me she would take good care of her!
(This picture is at the luncheon after the temple)
 (This is a camping trip at Island park)

2 comments:

Kristi said...

This made me cry tears down my cheeks! What a hard road to travel...your grandma is an amazing lady, and she'll get there, it's just so sad they have to travel in a strange place first. She is so lucky to have someone who loves her so much, and you will be forever blessed for your service. Your memories will last into the eternities and you'll never regret that you didn't spend enough time with her. Bless your heart, miss Sally!!

Burrups said...

She is a wonderful person Jody just like you!!